Thursday, July 15, 2010

{ (Day 4) Redeeming Ruth: God's Hand in Our Risk, and Pictures at the Lake}

Hello Everyone,
Today Micah, my little sister and I went to the lake to run. I finally remembered to bring a camera to take some pictures. I will share a few and then talk about what we learned in our study of Ruth today.
















~Micah, Taylor and I love theses swings.~

















~The Beautiful Swan~

















~Cottonwood Tree~

















~Rain Drops~

















~One of the Cool Buildings at the Lake~

















~There was a sweet Mama duck and her babies at the lake. I was trying to get some close up pictures of them when I heard a killdeer making tons of noise. Thinking it was just being territorial I didn't think much of it. Then I happened to look down and saw a baby killdeer. I could have stepped on it!!!! I am so glad I didn't!~


















Here are two things that stood out to me in todays study of Ruth.

{1} Ruth put her words into action. Throughout the book of Ruth we see that Ruth not only talked the talk, but she walked the walk. Over and over we see her doing the hard thing, such as leaving her home and her family so she could be with Naomi. She went where God wanted her to be. Then once she got there she didn't just sit around, instead she went and gleaned in the fields. Then she took Naomi's advice and did something that I'm sure took great courage to go and do when she went to the threshing floor. Ruth is a great example of what we should be like. 

{2} In one of the earlier sermons I mentioned that sometimes God uses us to answer our own prayers. Today we see that in vs 9 Ruth says this:

"I am Ruth, your servant. Spread your wings over your servant, for you are a redeemer." 

By Ruth saying this she was asking Boaz to answer his own prayer that he had prayed for her 5-6 weeks earlier. 
"The LORD repay you for what you have done, and a full reward be given you by the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge!" -Ruth 2:12

We should always be willing to do what the Lord wants us to do. At times it is easier to just pray for someone in the comfort of our own home, than go out and do something about what we are praying for. Now I am not saying that prayer isn't the answer, because sometimes that is all we can do, but I am saying that there are times when God will give us the opportunity to be His hands and feet and go out and help meet the needs of others.


Here is the 5th sermon intro entitled "God's Hand in Our Shrewdness".




I hope you all had a wonderful day! It was very hot and muggy here. I hate the humidity! 
Tomorrow Micah, Taylor and I  are taking three of my nephews to go swimming and tomorrow night we are going to go camping! We have been wanting to go all summer and since Micah has been gone a lot we haven't gotten a chance till now.


Have a great day tomorrow!!!!

In Him,
     ~Tressa

3 comments:

  1. HI Tressa,

    You talked about all the good points!!! I didn't take very many notes on parts three or four...because this time I just wanted to sit and listen to the video. My dad is now interested and I'm going to watch it with him. That'll be fun.

    I thought the history of the word "dating" was interesting. I'm going to have to google it and see what else I can find about that word. Hmm.. I've never really been into dating unlike every single other one of my friends when I was your age. I'm now 36. I didn't mind dating...but even as young as 16, I told God I didn't want to date, just for the sake of dating. Nope that's not for me. I would want to date because I really was interested in the guy and because I want to get married someday. So I didn't feel or want to play around. Nope , not for me. That was my conviction and commitment that I made to God!!!

    Anyway, yeah, I thought that was a bold move on Ruth's part and if I was in her shoes, I'd be really nervous and scared to do that. I'd be afraid of rejection. I'm wondering if Ruth felt the same thing. However, she listened to Naomi, an older, wiser woman and she "obeyed". That's a key word. She obeyed Naomi.

    I like that phrase, too "You shouldn't chase the guy, but you can get in his way" :) :) My friend Heather (same name as me) told me that only a few months ago :) :) So funny. I"m going to have to tell her about this Bible study series!!!!

    I thought it was interesting that Naomi knew the right time to approach Boaz too. That seems to be important. Ruth didn't just barge in there. She waited until the time was right to make her request (acting on Naomi's advice). Also reminds me of Esther, who waited until the right time to make her request/plea for her people in front of her husband the king.
    Oh that's another thing...make sure the guy not only demonstrates character/integrity in all areas of life, is nice to everyone...but also make sure he loves God..If he doesn't, than he's off limits.
    I read a phrase somewhere "Don't give up what you want most for what you want right now" It's worth it to wait upon the Lord and serve Him and do things until He sees fit to bring the right man along...but in the meantime, preparation is good...developping godly character etc.
    Hm...Boaz was a leader and knew how to make decisions. For me that's important...but I can't say it enough...really, I can't ...loving God first and foremost and integrity...both very important for that man you do decide to let into your heart someday!! I could tell you a couple stories of mistakes I have made...not bad ones, but still, I might have saved myself some heartache if I had listend to God more...

    So I really like the story of Ruth and Boaz...there's hope for everyone. Your identity is found in God, not in jobs, stuff etc...because that's where the true heart lies...with God!!! This has given me some good things to think about as well as a good biblical guideline for the man I let "court" me. I think I'll use that word from now on....much better than dating ;) :) :)

    Well, if you ever want to ask me any questions about anything, feel free!!! I can't wait for Part 5. I listened to that earlier today...and it was very good!!!

    p.s. I post the same comments on your blog and micah's so you both have something to read :) ): You work hard to put this blog together. That's the least I can do, is write something in appreciation :) :)
    Have a great time with Micah,Taylor and your nephews!!!

    Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVELY POST AND PICTURES. THANKS, DAWN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather~ I'm sorry I haven't written back till now!!!! I have been very busy! That is so cool your Dad is interested in the sermons! I agree with all of the things that stood out to you. I liked the phrase about not chasing guys too. I'm so glad you have been enjoying this series! Thank you for being so open to any questions. That is very sweet of you! I love reading your comments.

    Dawn~ Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. Like I told Heather I'm sorry I haven't written back till now.

    In Him,
    Tressa

    ReplyDelete